Reporting to the Senior Operations Manager and serving as a member of the Senior Management Team (SMT), the Communications Officer promotes the non-profit organization, its brand and programs in Jordan, to diverse stakeholders, in close coordination and in alignment with the global communications team at the area office. This position will support the Fundraising team in planning, creating and delivering marketing materials to engage potential and existing donors and supporters, including growing Jordan’s tithing portfolio and converting online visitors into givers/donors.
Key Performance Areas
- Media, communications and publications
- Plan and coordinate the writing, development, design and publication of all publications and resources, including but not limited to reports, newsletters, beneficiary or homeowner stories to be shared with fundraising and communications teams and other stakeholders.
- Develop and implement a communications and marketing strategy with fundraising and program staff for specific campaigns and/or projects using relevant tools.
- Prepare press statements in coordination with the Senior Management Team and global communications teams.
- Establish a media monitoring process for articles and materials relevant to housing issues in Jordan and to follow media coverage.
- Maintain a database of media contacts for the distribution of publications (electronic and hardcopy).
- Publicize events and activities in the media and in the communities at large.
- Webpage and Social media
- Plan and coordinate maintenance of webpages and social media accounts, Facebook, LinkedIn and Twitter.
- Update and help develop content for the webpages and social media channels, articles, blogs, photo and video materials.
- Manage all digital fundraising related communications including advertisement and promotions, and working with various departments and teams to ensure raising funds, building awareness and engaging donors.
- Fundraising support
- Contribute to the development and implementation of fundraising strategies.
- Create innovative digital fundraising content for social media platforms.
- Research and implement diversified digital fundraising channels, methods and payment schemes.
- Acquire new and retain existing financial supporters using digital/online platforms.
- Utilize social media platforms to engage with and promote to supporters.
- Co-ordinate all fundraising communications.
- Develop digital fundraising plan in alignment with fundraising strategy and with the support of the Senior Operations Manager and Regional Communications Team.
- Provide technical support in writing proposals and concept note to fundraising teams and donors in relation with online communications.
- Support the planning of online communication, marketing or fundraising campaigns.
- Manage and build relationships with the tithing non-profit organization affiliates and individuals.
- Maintain relationships with tithers/individual giving donors through thank you letters and on-going communication.
- Branding and digital equipment stewardship
- In collaboration and under supervision of the global communications team, ensure compliance and adherence to the non-profit organization’s international brand guidelines in all internal and external communications and marketing materials.
- Provide support to the global communications team in developing campaigns and activities to position and promote the brand with strategic audiences and stakeholders.
- Ensure the safeguarding of digital equipment.
- Build Events support
- Design information manuals for volunteers.
- Design, review and edit homeowner stories and/or community profiles.
- Design and send thank you letters.
- Invite media and ensure great experience during build events by arranging interviews with the right contacts and deal with queries.
- Actively support and participate in the planning and execution of Build Events.
- Monitoring and Reporting
- Write reports for global and regional impact reporting, donors and other internal and external stakeholders.
- Monitor effectiveness of our media actions.
- Ensure that marketing and fundraising databases are kept up to date and number of contacts increased regularly.
- Conduct data analysis and produce reporting monthly through e.g., Google Analytics to increase effectiveness of fundraising
- Monitor digital fundraising programs and in a timely manner, make recommendations on how to improve effectiveness.
- Organizational contributions
- Attend and contribute to staff meetings, including devotion meetings, strategic planning, performance assessments, work planning and work review.
- Actively participate during build events.
- Provide support to colleagues – local, regional and global – as and when required.
- Other duties and responsibilities that may be assigned by the supervisor.
Key Performance Measures / Indicators
- Number of people reached through various media platforms.
- Multi-media coverage.
- Conversion rate from web visitors, report readers, and proposal receivers to donors.
- Number of partnerships & networks developed.
- Increase in social media and internet traffic and likes.
- Publications & materials developed.
- Support for the Build Events activities.
- Number and diversity of media personnel engaged.
Skills and Competencies
- Ability to project our development mission and accomplishments within and outside the organization.
- Good understanding of housing and human settlement issues - low-cost housing, affordable housing, WASH, Energy, and urban development would be advantageous.
- Demonstrated project management capacity and oversight of large-scale humanitarian and development projects.
- Creativity and innovativeness.
- Excellent skills in writing technical and programmatic documents, such as project concepts, project proposals, work plans, budgets and reports.
- Ability to interact with senior level international and national professionals, donors, and partners
- Program development skills.
- Willingness to travel extensively in Jordan and occasionally internationally.
- Good communication skills, in English and Arabic, both written and verbal, as well as strong analytical skills.
- Excellent presentation skills.
- Outcome focused.
- Effective “roll up the sleeves” work ethic with attention to detail.
- Capacity to build trust, teamwork and ensure accountability among staff.
- Ability to address issues and effect change through persuasion and diplomacy. Ability to work with diverse cultures.
- Fluency in English and Arabic.
Required Organizational Alignment
- Alignment with and a commitment to model and articulate Core Values.
- Willing to uphold Christian principles of the non-profit organization.
- Enthusiastic commitment to the vision, mission, purposes, goals, and mission focus.
- High levels of integrity.
Budget/Financial Level/Stewardship and Financial Discretion
- Accountable for stewardship of his or her own productivity and utilization of resources.
- High level of confidentiality required.
Modern office environment.
Policy Level Impact
Employee follows, supports and ensures implementation of policies.
Education, Qualifications and Experience Required
- A relevant Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent.
- At least 7 years of experience in planning and developing materials for websites and social media, preferably with at least 4 years in a not-for-profit organization.
- Experience contributing to organizational social media accounts.
- Experience and skills in design software.
- Experience of using email marketing tools.
- Experience in stakeholder relations management.
- Experience of using digital technologies in innovative ways.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities Required
- Good knowledge of digital marketing and fundraising.
- Good knowledge of social media usage for marketing purposes.
- Knowledge of design techniques and applications.
- Proven ability to plan, prioritize and manage multiple projects.
- Ability to analyze situations with strong problem solving.
- Good communication skills in English – written and verbal – and able to communicate effectively across diverse groups, at different levels, and in different cultural settings.
- Proficiencies in spreadsheet, networking and database management.
- Attentiveness to detail and ability to work well under pressure.
- Excellent research and information management skills.
- Extensive experience working with communities and volunteers in a donor funded development context.
Although the position holder will report into the Senior Operations Manager from whom support can be derived, the incumbent must have the ability to work under pressure and with minimum supervision, be a team builder, and demonstrate capacity for maintaining high professional standards.